Lyon Confirm Izack Rodda Signing
Lyon have confirmed a number of signings, for next season, including that of Queensland Reds’ contract rebel Izack Rodda. They have also announced the acquisition of Back Row Forward Gillian Galan from Top 14 rivals Toulouse. Rodda was one of three players who did not agree to the pay cuts in Australian rugby and were released by the Queensland Reds. It appears that Lyon could not miss out on the chance to sign the towering Wallaby International. Rodda is a huge unit, who’ll add some serious bulk and lineout skills to the yon squad.
A further four signings were included in the announcement today, including Mathieu Bastareaud, but these players were already well known to be joining the club. Lyon were in second place when the Top 14 ended due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, and were well in the hunt for their first title. The season will not resume but it certainly shows how far the club has come.
Lyon Signings For Next Season:
- Izack Rodda – Second Row – 23 Years Old – Queensland Reds – 1 Year Deal
- Gillian Galan – Back Row – 28 Years Old – Toulouse – 1 Year Deal
- Joe Taufete’e – Hooker – 27 Years Old – Worcester Warriors – 2 Year Deal
- Colby Fainga’a – Back Row – 29 Years Old – Connacht – 2 Year Deal
- Leo Berdeu – Fly Half – 22 Years Old – Agen – 2 Year Deal
- Mathieu Bastareaud – Centre/Back Row – 31 Years Old – Rugby United New York – 2 Year Deal
Rodda’s fellow new recruit Gillian Galan will add some extra muscle and workrate to the backrow and replace the outgoing Carl Fearns (Rouen). He is joined by two more potential back rows in Colby Fainga’a and Mathieu Bastareaud. Basti had transitioned to a Number 8 during his previous loan spell at the Lyon and continued that work, while with Rugby United New York, in Major League Rugby. The France International is back, after a mixed spell in the States, to have another crack at the Top 14. Fainga’a is an Australian International, who put in some excellent performances for Connacht in the PRO 14.